Giving First Nomination Form
The Giving First program donates 50 percent of the non-pledge offering each month to a charitable organization that we feel is consistent with Unitarian Universalist principles and FP Arlington’s mission to challenge the excesses and injustices of our time. The program began in November 2009, and First Parish has donated well over $80,000 to more than 50 organizations.
Giving First is an important way of enhancing our relationship with the broader community. It helps show the community who we are and what principles we embrace. Giving First allows us to live out our principles through giving. The program also furthers our education by providing the opportunity for heightened community awareness of each recipient.
We are seeking nominations for recipient organizations for February 2018 through January 2019. Anyone who is part of the First Parish congregation may submit a nomination. We’d like your help identifying which organizations to support.
Applications must be received by December 31, 2017.
Any questions concerning the Giving First program may be sent to socialjustice @ firstparish.info
The Social Justice Committee will review the nominations and you will be notified of our decision in late January or early February.
More information about the selection process:
- Most recipients receive somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000, more or less.
- We seek to fund a range of organizations by theme, geographical reach, and size of organization. We have funded small local organizations as well as large international organizations. We strive to select a balanced portfolio of recipients representative of the congregation's values.
- We typically receive one and a half to two or more times as many nominations as we have months to fill. We ask for nominations on a yearly basis to keep the program fresh and to give everyone a chance to participate. We also try to maintain a balance whereby we do not fund the same organization in consecutive years.
- To balance our generosity, because attendance and plate donations are lower in the summer months, we select one recipient for the months of June, July, and August.
- Often you can find more information about the month's recipient through the Social Justice Blog (http://firstparish.info/index.php/justice/social-justice-blog/blog)
- We encourage only one nomination per person.
- We take the selection process very seriously and we want the congregation to know that these are not easy decisions for us to make. Because we get more nominations than we have months, we are unable to fund every nominee. Our inability to fund should not be taken as a statement about the value of the work of that organization: we may have gotten several nominations for similarly-profiled organizations and sometimes we have to say no. We do appreciate your participation in this process.
- If you nominate an organization that is chosen for the program, the Social Justice Committee will ask you to provide further information key points of contact in the congregation before its assigned month to facilitate education about the organization.
- In the past, nominators have found ways to promote relationship-building between First Parish and the recipient organization, such as inviting a representative of the organization to socialize at coffee hour, requesting in advance that the organization might speak at a worship service, bringing materials to distribute after worship, running letter-writing or signature drives, making known specific non-monetary needs of the organization, and the like.
- If your organization is chosen, you will have the opportunity to write an entry for the Social Justice Blog for the month to share more information about the recipient agency.