When reproductive rights are ranked by state, South Dakota, whose population is 10% Native American (the fourth-highest in the country) is ranked dead last. Until June 16th, Planned Parenthood of Sioux Falls was South Dakota’s only abortion provider. Going forward, they will provide couseling, facilitation, funding, and transportation to continue supporting access to safe, legal abortion in other states. The clinic serves Indigenous people from all nine of the reservations located in South Dakota, as well as a large Latinx community, and anyone else who comes to them. They have a growing trans care practice and continue to provide birth control, STD screening, and pregnancy care.
Planned Parenthood’s mission is to:
- Help people live full, healthy lives — no matter their income, insurance, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, or immigration status
- Provide the high-quality inclusive and comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care services all people need and deserve —with respect and compassion
- Advocate for public policies that protect and expand reproductive rights and access to a full range of sexual and reproductive health care services, including abortion
- Provide medically accurate education that advances the understanding of human sexuality, healthy relationships, and body autonomy
- Promote research and technology that enhances reproductive health care and access