The RE program at First Parish creates a place where children learn and discuss liberal religious values, create lasting friendships, and foster a strong sense of community to help them navigate life in our challenging time. Adults and children together discuss the big questions of life and ponder spiritual issues. Children make friends of all ages for life, learn to care about others, and grow spiritually and emotionally. Our hope is to raise children to act beyond the church doors with open minds, loving hearts, and helping hands.
Our RE classes are full of music, art, stories, and dance. During the fall, winter, and spring terms, our children are exposed to a variety of interesting topics and are challenged to take the values they learned on Sunday mornings back to their homes, schools, and playgrounds.
Click here to see an overview of our RE curriculum, from pre-K through grade 8.
If you are new to First Parish please see our FAQs.
Members of the Religious Education Committee and I are always glad to hear your thoughts about the program. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a visit, please contact me at 781/648-3799 ext. 5, or e-mail tina @ firstparish.info.
I look forward to a wonderful year with you and your children.
From RE Guidelines:
The purpose of this church is to grow in love, understanding of truth, and service to one another in the world.
Our mission is to live out this purpose in a religious community that is always open, loving, and accepting to those who share our purpose, principles, and values.
To accomplish our mission, we covenant for ourselves and our children:
- To gather in recognition and celebration of our diversity, uniting the vision of love, truth, and justice offered by our Unitarian Universalist faith
- To seek and encourage a deepening spiritual faith
- To nurture and love one another through collective worship and meditation, exploring the mysteries and struggles of life, celebrating life’s passages, sharing our talents and resources, and examining and reinforcing the values by which we act.
- Thus, we promise to care for one another, for the people of the world, and for the earth.
Being in Community Together
This is a cooperative church school, and we don’t charge for our morning RE program.
Our RE teachers are volunteers, and most are not education professionals, though all are committed to the spiritual growth of our children. Parents are encouraged to teach in our program after attending First Parish for one year.
First Parish members are strongly encouraged to pledge or donate toward the maintenance of our church.
Here are some other ways to contribute your time and energy to our Sunday morning and evening programs.:
- Assist with a One-Room Sunday School
- Share your skills—as a musician, artist, baker, storyteller, field trip driver, etc.
- Act as a Youth Group Advisor on Sunday evenings
- Be a mentor for our Coming of Age program
- Take part in Time for All Ages
- Volunteer to help in the RE Office with administrative needs
Contact DRE Tina Schultz for more info.